A BIT ABOUT ELEPHANT ACTIVITIES
All experiences are managed by the villagers of Ban Kiet Ngong, these activities will bring you to the top of Phou Asa or around the village and the wetland.
This activity is now an important source of income for the villagers and it helps them to avoid selling the elephants and discourage wildlife hunting. We are working hard with the villagers to make this activity as responsible and sustainable as possible in light of current thinking.
Kingfisher Ecolodge does not organize this activity, therefore takes no responsibility for it, but we can facilitate our guests participation in the activity from the lodge
An interesting video about the mahouts of Ban Kiet Ngong area can be seen here.
ELEPHANT JUNGLE SAFARI (NO RIDING)
Kingfisher Ecolodge organize a one day Adventure Safari in the jungle by elephant, like the first foreign explorers of this country often did during their voyages.
You will start in the morning from the village of Kiet Ngong and trek alongside your elephant through paddy fields and wetlands, you will be led inside the jungle that surrounds the area by your mahout and guide.
From beside your elephant you will have a particular point of view of the dry dipterocarp forest that characterize Xe Pian protected area, you will experience the jungle environment while cicadas and birds sounds will accompany you along the way.
After two to three hours of walking (depending on trail and weather conditions), in proximity of a stream you will let your elephants drink and, after let them be free to feed in the forest, you will have your picnic lunch.
After resting and watching the elephants roaming around in search for food and learning more about them, you will continue your jungle safari on the way back to the village; arrival is expected between 15:00 and 16:00.
ELEPHANT JUNGLE SAFARI (NO RIDING) (Lao Kip) per person
All rates are subject to change without prior notice
|1 Pax||2 Pax||3 Pax||4 Pax||5 – 6 Pax||7 – 8 Pax|
- You must be also ready to walk next to the elephant while far from the elephant center.
- even if the trail in the jungle is usually clear and wide enough to pass by elephant, you must be aware that fallen trees or other natural obstacles may force the elephant to exit the trail in order to find a way around. In this case, most probably, the mahout will have to clear the way by machete and the help of the elephant, so be prepared to pass through more difficult conditions.
- No particular skills are needed to do this activity but you should consider that, due to the above mentioned conditions, it requires a bit of physical effort and adaptation.
Elephant Jungle Safari includes:
- English Speaking guide
- Elephant (two persons per elephant) and Mahout
- Picnic Lunch from the Lodge
- Drinking water and bottle